Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rebels with Cause

“The more I get to know Jesus, the more trouble he seems to get me into.”-Shane Claiborne

Rebellion. Hmmmm…it always seems to be calling my name. Here’s a confession: I utterly enjoy going against the grain, living in the moment and abandoning what the world tells me to do. You know, doing what you want, when you want to. I mean, I crave it. Here’s the deal, I’ve always been rebellious. Those of you who know me might say that’s an understatement. But it’s something within me, it’s in my bones. It’s pretty safe to say that it’s there to stay to be honest.

Do you remember when the “party scene” was rebellion and being “good” was the social norm? I sure do. I actually remember it pretty well. But what about now? These days the social norm is the party scene and the opposite is considered going against the current. My oh myyy how the tables have turned, right? Now-a-days if you’re caught hanging out with your homeless friends people ask “hey, why are you doing that?” as if it’s not a normal thing to do. Now-a-days if you go for a skate instead of beerpong you get asked questions about your motives as well.

Being a rebel these days is being good. It is being pure. It is being a child of God. In a world where bad is almost always expected, being different only requires one to say “no” to anything that’s not glorifying to God. The cool thing is we are called to be different. We are called to rebel against the worldly and fleshly things. To walk the earth like Jesus walked it. Then we, when people ask us why we do what we do, get to tell them. And hopefully it does something in their hearts. Beautiful.

SO here’s to all my rebel friends who are keeping it real. Keep doin what you do.

“A rebel is someone who stands up for their own personal opinions despite what anyone else says. A true rebel stands up for what they believe is right, not against what’s right. True rebels know who they are and do not compromise their individuality or personal opinion for anyone. They’re straightforward and honest and they will sure as hell tell it like it is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment